How To Make Soap
How to Make Soap the Fast Way
When most people who want to learn how to make soap are told that they have to wait 30 days for it to cure, they get discouraged. If you are like many others who want to know how to make soap, you probably either want to use it right away or you’re making it for gifts and don’t have time to wait. Well, you’ll be interested to learn that the hot process cures soap quickly so you can use it faster. In fact you can often use it in as little as three days.
You may also enjoy learning how to make soap with this method because the bars are typically harder and last longer. Be aware that the high temperatures do destroy aromas from essential oils so you will either need to use more or wait until near the end to add them.
Ingredients for a Small Batch
- 4 ounces of lye
- 9 ounces of water
- 3 ounces of coconut oil
- 3 ounces of castor oil
- 3 ounces of canola oil
- 22 ounces of Crisco
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ounce of essential oil
- Herbs and coloring agents if desired
- The first step when you’re learning how to make soap at home this way is to preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure that the area is well ventilated and always wear protective gloves and goggles. It’s also a good idea to use aluminum foil to line the bottom of your oven in case there are any spills. When you are learning how to make soap, it is recommended to always use stainless steel pots and glass bowls.
- The next step to follow when you are learning how to make soap is to melt all of the solid fats on low.
- Pour the lye slowly into the water in a bowl, mix and it will heat itself from the chemical reaction.
- When both substances are 110 degrees Fahrenheit, combine them and blend until trace.
- Traditionally when you are learning how to make soap you would add essential oils now but since the cooking process isn’t done yet, this step gets skipped for now. Instead, you will add colorants and proceed.
How to Make Soap with the Hot Process
In most cases when you’re learning how to make soap, you would have poured this substance in molds, cooled for 3 days, cut and cured for another 30 days. When you are learning how to make soap with a hot process method, you’re going to do a little more work but have the advantage of using your product a lot faster.
- The first step when you’re learning how to make soap this way is to pour your blended substance into a roasting pan, cover it with the lid and place it in your preheated oven.
- After 20 minutes, take out of the oven and remove the lid slowly away from your face. Stir the substance and place back in the oven.
- Chances are, if you are learning how to make soap for the first time, you probably have quite a mess to clean so set the timer on the oven for 30 minutes and clean while it’s cooking some more.
- After 30 minutes, stir gently. You will notice it curling away from the roasting pan toward the centre.
- Add a little olive oil so it doesn’t dry out, stir and pop back in the oven for about an hour. Clearly, when you’re learning how to make soap this way you need to have quite a few hours to spare!
- During this time, grease your molds with olive oil.
- After an hour has passed, remove the pan from the oven and add in your essential oils.
How to Make Soap – Quick Curing Method
- Scoop the soap into the molds, cover with plastic wrap and towels. Allow this to cool.
- The next step of the quick cure process when you’re learning how to make soap this way is to cut the bars. Wetting your knife makes it easier to cut through.
- Cure these on a rack for four days, offering plenty of air circulation and you’re done!